Friday 20 May 2011

Take me away

OK, so I acknowledge that it's not particularly inventive/cool, etc. of me to blog about something as obvious as 'the end of the world' - I mean, come on, we're all sick of talking about that, aren't we? - but I hope you'll permit me to indulge myself a little after a random trawl through the front page of the BBC News website provided me with the startling revelation that tonight might in fact be my last on this earth. *gasp*
Apparently, at 6pm tomorrow evening (or, this evening, yesterday evening, or a few days ago, depending on when you're reading this blog), the Rapture will finally come and the world as we know it will all be over. Big news. So big, in fact, that it ranked number 2 on the 'most shared' stories chart, only topped by the huge story that a German firm held an orgy for their most successful salesmen. (I'd like to take this opportunity to say hello to all my German readers...)
If none of this is making any sense so far and, to be honest, I can understand why it might not, then you can read more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13468131
Do come back here after reading that article though - I'd hate you to miss out on whatever the remaining lines may bring.
Whatever your thoughts on the possibility of a Rapture, let alone one tomorrow evening, surely some of you must join me in offering more than a little giggle in the direction of the 250 people who have paid £83 to the 'Eternal Earth-bound Pets' business that is offering to look after your pet once you have been swept away. No offence to Maisie, or any other cats out there, but I would like to think that, should I be caught up into Heaven just as I'm settling down to watch Britain's Got Talent tomorrow evening, the joy of going to be with God would overshadow any feelings of sadness I might feel as it dawns on me that no-one will be there to put out the brekkies tonight.
It is, of course, all too easy to be incredibly cynical about these things. The very fact that Jesus declares that only God the Father knows when the day shall be would suggest rather strongly that Harold Camping et al are unlikely to be right when they confidently declare that they know when everything will happen. However, there is one important reminder that comes out of all this and that is that we don't know when Jesus will return and it's all too easy to act as if he never will and to forget that he instructed us to be alert and ready, living each day as if he is coming back that evening.
Right, I'm off to listen to 'Last night on Earth' by U2...

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis