Wednesday 11 May 2011

Shorty

'Not only am I the youngest out of all of you, I'm the shortest too.'
So went Edward 'roll-with-the-punches' Hunter's defense of his poor performance in the opening episode of last night's new series of The Apprentice. As far as he was concerned, we needed to overlook the fact that he had no plan and didn't quite grasp the idea that juicing 1400 oranges by hand might take slightly longer than an hour, and focus on the real issue - height. How could anyone so short be expected to get these sorts of things right, after all? And, as if to compound things further, the universe had only gone and made him young as well. Young and short. Every man's nightmare.
It is a nightmare I struggle through every day and it staggers me how little people give me credit for pulling through, despite clocking well under 6 foot. Life isn't easy for those of us down here. There are things we've never seen, moments we've never experienced, and yet we are expected to do just the same job as the rest of you. Incredible.
I'm sure you won't be too disappointed to discover that Edward discovered he wasn't, in fact, too young or short to be fired and he soon found himself skulking out of the boardroom wondering why he hadn't pulled out the 'and I haven't even got around to shaving this morning' card as well. Clearly being young and short simply wasn't enough.
Sorry for the brevity of this post - I'm young and short.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis