Sunday 3 July 2011

Mr Writer

Ladies and gentlemen, for one week only I will be a professional writer.

That’s right, I’ll be sat at this desk, using this laptop, typing with these fingers, for an entire week, making the ‘magic’ happen and coming up with lots of other words that need to be put in inverted commas. I won’t be checking the clock to see when I should be somewhere else, and nor will I be feeling as though I really should be doing some marking or something else teacher-related, such as coming up with fresh new ways to tell people that it’s their own time they’re wasting. No, it will just be my own time I’m wasting or, hopefully, my own time I’m using valuably.

Depending on how things are going, I may keep a mini-blog-journal-type-thing over this week to record progress or the lack of it, and so stay tuned for that if that’s the sort of thing you get out of bed to read (you can of course stay in bed to read it if you’ve got a laptop or smartphone – I’m quite happy for you to read this anywhere really). If nothing’s appeared by Wednesday, you can assume that I’m doing really well on FIFA 11 and less well on unnamed-novel-in-progress…

Talking of the novel being unnamed, perhaps you could help me come up with a decent name? It doesn’t matter whether or not you know the plot, as all I’m interested in is which of the following titles (if any) would prompt you to pick up a book if you saw it on the shelf to check out what the blurb and cover says?:

1) Inspired by  (this has been the working title)

2) Mansfield, Munch and Misadventure

3) Mansfield and Munch

4) Munch

5) Accidental crime

6) Accidental crimes

7) Incidental crimes

8) Accidental theft

9) Attempted murder and accidental theft

10) A novel by Sam

If number 10 is the best one, then we might as well give up now…

Trust me, at least one paragraph of the novel is better than the quality of those titles. Perhaps even one page. But, really, is there any mileage in any of those or should I try again? I genuinely would appreciate your feedback on this if you’re able to give it, so why not add a quick comment under the blog to let me know?

The titles list does disappoint me a little but I’m preparing to teach a novel called ‘The Road’ next year and that won the Pulitzer Prize, so if you can succeed with as bland a title as that then perhaps I’m not so far off?

8 comments:

  1. Definitely Munch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good start. Looks like the overwhelming favourite so far...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mischievous Maisie4 July 2011 at 21:47

    Actually 'Munch' sounds more like a cookery book title. Is that really relevant to crime/theft/attempted murder? No idea about the plot really - the Master won't let me look too closely. I think the title should be 'Inspired by' as this novel is obviously inspired by me (his purrfect and beloved pet) so that I can take all the credit and plaudits for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually like 'Accidental crime' (the title, not whatever it is those terms suggest...). Anyone else like the sound of that one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your posts have made me laugh. Found your blog from a link on the CWA site. I think Number 10 is by far the best title. At least it's unambiguous. And you are a teacher too? I'm not sure I could teach 'The Road' without needing to take tranquillisers at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh .. and your blog background is just fabulous. You have great taste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Fran. I really appreciate you reading the blog. It's been a bit quiet the last few weeks as I've been away on holiday but hopefully it'll be up and running again shortly!
    'The Road' freaked me out a bit the first time I looked at it but I went to a course on preparing to teach it and came away feeling far more positive, so hopefully it won't be too bad an experience!
    I agree, the background is fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'll have the scheme of work when you've written it .... Mind you, my lot are complaining that Hardy's poetry is depressing enough, so how they'd cope, I don't know. Thanks for retweeting me, btw.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis