Thursday 7 July 2011

Mini-blog-journal-type-thing Day 4

Well, we’re into the home straight in this writing week now (assuming that weeks have ‘home straights’) and so, as if by magic, I also seem to be heading into the home straight as far as the novel is concerned. I’m going to stop writing the words ‘home straight’ now. I also plan to stop using inverted commas. Exciting times.

I literally leapt for joy this morning when I came up with the ending of my novel. And, yes, I actually did use the word ‘literally’ (oops) accurately in that sentence (as opposed to when people say things like, ‘I literally fell off the edge of the world when she dumped me’). Sorry, I just guess I’m addicted to inverted commas. We all have weaknesses.

It was a good moment. Coffee was brewing. And so, it seemed, were ideas. It’s too early to class it a good or a bad idea but it’s an idea at least, and that’s what counts. The other positive about it is that it wasn’t an idea that meant I would need to be writing for another few years before I reached that end point. In fact, the end point might even be achievable before this evening is over. Which is quite a tantalising prospect.

Of course, there is quite a difference between writing the ending and finishing the novel, but it’s going to be good to tick one of those off the list at least.

Daily Overview:

Words written (so far): 3,713

Trips to shops: 2

Trousers or shorts?: Shorts

Items purchased on 2nd shop trip: A single onion

Weird experiences: 1 – walking up my street clasping a large onion in my left hand, assuming that I was frightening everyone I passed who naturally thought I was about to hurl it through their window or use it as an assault weapon to steal their handbag.

Longer than usual entries in the daily overview: 1

Optimism Level: 8.5

Chances of writing the ending by the end of the week: 95%

Days left being a professional writer: 1

Words I need to look up in the dictionary: Professional

1 comment:

  1. The Lenton wit is all over this blog literally ;0) Is Sue Townsend 'Adrian Mole' one of your major influences in your writing?

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis