Monday 16 August 2010

I can only disappoint u

I owe you two apologies this morning:
1) Despite initially averaging slightly more than one blog a day for the first five days, a weekend away left me with no choice but to fail miserably in my quest to post on a daily basis or, at least, made it quite clear that there was little point trying to emulate Mark Watson yet again by sprinting to the nearest internet cafe at five minutes to midnight or appointing a 'guest blogger' to keep my legions of fans happy while I sunned myself in Bedfordshire.
2) I have spelt 'you' without two of its letters in my title for this blog, my sense of loyalty to accuracy preventing me from correcting Mansun's spelling. (While we're on the subject of bands, a special prize goes to anyone who can name the artist behind each of the songtitles used in the blog so far, without resorting to Google, Bing or any other search engine, encyclopaedia or radio DJ.)
It has, I think, become rather fashionable recently to point out spelling, punctuation and grammar mistakes in articles, billboards, shop windows, blogs by Sam Lenton, etc., but I'd still like to try and ride on this wave of popularity for the purposes of today's post. You see, there may well come a time when 'you' can be quite acceptably spelt as 'u', apostrophes can be thrown into any word containing an s and the plural of house could be street. English is always changing and if enough people keep making the same mistakes then perhaps they will eventually no longer be considered mistakes and those of us inserting our semi-colons at just the right time will be the ones who look like fools.
Whilst driving home yesterday, I noticed a sign advertising 'Egg's' and thought how odd that they would sell off the individual parts of an egg and how strange that they hadn't written 'yolk' or 'white' after 'Egg's' to clarify what was on offer. And it doesn't stop at Eggs (note the correct absence of the apostrophe!). If an item is being sold in quantities larger than one then the opportunity is there for the nation's shopkeepers to show that they have learned the simple rule of apostrophes - wherever there's an s at the end of a word, put an apostrophe, just in case. Or something like that anyway.
The worst one I have come across though, the one that I still struggle to see a reason for was when I saw the word 'was' written as 'wa's'. Perhaps the writer was actually talking about the city of Wa in Ghana but, if so, you still have to question the lack of a capital letter, as well as the contextual irrelevance of the surrounding words. No, it seems that the only viable explanation for 'wa's' is that of panic, playing it safe by putting in an apostrophe because of the tempting presence of the s.
I think you are due a third apology of the morning:
3) A week after slaughtering Monday in 30 easy steps, I am now getting on my high horse (which is impressive for someone who once chickened out of riding a pony) and telling you the same things that we all got sick and tired of hearing about when Eats, Shoots and Leaves came out a few years back, whilst now opening up my own writing to intense scrutiny as my millions of readers (ah, I love hyperbole) check through every post so far with a fine tooth comb to catch me out and class me as just as bad as the 'egg's' and 'wa's' guys. Well, I guess I will just have to take that risk while promising you a lighter and more enjoyable topic in the days ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Mischievous Maisie16 August 2010 at 12:45

    Pedantic, moi? Heaven forbid! Now the Master is going to tackle my anti social oral disorder I won't even have the ability to salivate my disapproval all over him. Only kidding - I love him really, even if reading this entry nearly sent me off to sleep again.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis