Thursday 23 August 2012

(It’s Good) To Be Free

Who's the Baby cover
The best things in life are free.
For five days, so is the script for Who’s the Baby?. Unlikely to make many people’s ‘Top 10 Best Things in Life’ list I know, but free it is nonetheless, reckless promotion-hunting freak that I am.
Basically, this is for everyone out there who said ‘you know what, I like the blog and I like the sound of a play with the word baby in it but you have got to be kidding if you think I’m shelling out 77p for something like that.’
Perhaps you’ve never read a play script on your Kindle before? Perhaps you don’t even own a Kindle but are desperate for the first play script to read on your Kindle software on your PC, Laptop or Phone? Or perhaps you’re simply hear expecting another tale of gourmet fish and attempted murder and are by now, quite frankly, extremely disappointed?
Whatever your thoughts at this exact point, at least I’m not asking you to pay anything. You’ve got to give me that.
It would be nice if more things were free, wouldn’t it? Paying for things really puts a dampener on life. I’ve tried to accommodate this thinking by only charging 99p for It was the tree’s fault and £1.99 for Accidental Crime but I appreciate that even that falls someway short of the heady world we’d all like to live in where we simply take things and enjoy them. Kind of like the riots last summer, only less illegal and with fewer fires.
Here’s my slightly more realistic dream: hundreds of people download Who’s the Baby? for free, think to themselves ‘it would be fun to put this play on at Christmas’ and this December churches across the country (if not the world! – no, too big) put on productions to reach thousands of people with the message.
I wouldn’t get a single penny for any of this but, I’ll tell you what, I’d rather see that happen than sell 1,000 copies of Accidental Crime this week…
(P.S. I’d be perfectly happy to sell 1,000 copies as well, just in case you were wondering.)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the freebie Sam. Having read Accidental Crime and knowing how excellently you write I am looking forward to reading the play. Maybe my church will even put it on this Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynda. No worries! It's quite different from my novel - as you'd probably guess, given the rare references to Christmas in 'Accidental Crime' - but it works really well on stage (we've done it 2 years in a row) and should appeal to people of all ages.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis